Expanding the content

Hi all,

Just poking around the new site and adding where I can. I ran into my first area where I didn’t know where to post for prop builds, so I put it with the Battlefield under costume construction: Prop build Gun Rack

Realizing this is kinda off target of the proposed area, is there any merit to having a Prop build category that people can add to and not muddy the water for the costume area?

Continuing that stream of thought, could we also have a ‘Tips and Tricks’ area for fixing things, achieving finishes, mounting hardware, etc? Basically a learning center to again not muddy the water of the costume resources.

Just thinking out loud on some topics to help flesh out the site. If it makes things too complicated, I’ll understand

3 Likes

Initially I considered that if it was related to the Finest that it would fit right in with costume related content, however I can see your point as to how that is a sort of gray area.

Similarly, I was considering a discussion on table set ups.

3 Likes

Actually it’s a fair point and something that the three of us working on the new forums had been discussing. I actually asked folks the other day were I should put my prop build topic. In the end we figured it should go under costumes since most folks are going to build props for their costumes.

We wanted to keep the number of categories to a bare minimum to start to make sure the limited content we’d have didn’t get buried. Worst case we can always add a category down the line.

2 Likes

I can see that as being useful information on table set ups that wouldn’t necessarily fit in under costume content. Things like packing lists, building set pieces, suggested set ups for different allotted spaces, smart packing for vehicles, check lists so nothing is left behind, tips for keeping the space clean/straight, etc.

3 Likes

I can certainly go either way for the props under costume or under booth space. I feel those are two different methods of construction though: one for safety and one for rigidity

What I would love to see is some how to posts for things like the rocket launchers I know some people here built. Including supplies, measurements, paint techniques, making them ‘con friendly’, granted that term is different for every con you go to, I think we all may have a general grasp, but a brand new member may not.

This is just me thinking out loud. I like that this will be an archive for this content as the Facebook versions tend to get buried and hard to recall when you are looking. I figured that it would be wise to make it easier to find the content we are looking for up front to set up a best practices

1 Like

True, the old forums tended to focus more on folks aren’t members but I don’t see any reason not to change that. More members on here is a good thing I don’t think this will replace the private members-only FB group but it’s nice to have additional avenues for folks to connect with each other.

1 Like

The more I think about it the more I’m liking the idea of having a booth props area. @Panzer @Madness What do y’all think?

It’s funny you mentioned Rocket Launchers as I’ve got it on my list to measure my RPG and post up a pseudo build guide here. I have a tendency to build a prop and not record the steps so sometimes sharing build processes is a challenge.

I don’t find content on FB terribly difficult to find but I agree that the forums are a better place for storing content long term. Right now we just need to generate content before we go wide with the launch.

2 Likes

Dont think it would hurt, but yea the beauty of forums is that content is stored in a permanent location, on social media posts get buried and can be difficult to find content even with the search feature in some groups.

1 Like

A booth prop area seems like a good idea, Members are definitely starting to up those booth spaces in the last few years. Maybe it will inspire other Garrisons to also up their game.

3 Likes

And as I noted on the FB page, you can literally copy and paste content from the old forum and it transfers fairly well including any images you posted. So if folks got any old build threads or posts on the old forum, they can easily transfer it here to keep another copy and a resource for others.

1 Like

I like the booth props idea.

1 Like