G.I. Joe, the Table Top Role Playing Game

There is a FB group, sponsored by Renegade Games that blew up a few days ago.

The pre-orders are already going out and tomorrow the PDF is getting released. I will let you know what I think when I open my email in the morning.

1 Like

Finally got a copy. It looks pretty promising. My major problems are mostly just sloppy editting. They mix up a couple tables, copy/paste errors, and they get Roadbloack and Rock and Roll confused lol. Small things they might be able to fix at least for the PDFs or with errata.

All in all, I think I’d enjoy running this.

Agreed, and yet I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I like how it doesn’t pin you down to either slapstick heroics or the other end of the spectrum and lets you go full Murder Hobo.

Maybe because I was too amped up for this but I am really kinda disappointed in it.

• Character creation is difficult to follow.
  • Pet drones? Seriously you treat a drone with the animals rules set? At least a drone will come when I call it!
  • leveling up is poor defined. When asked about it in the official GI Joe RPG group the authors acted like it was the players fault they weren’t getting it.
  • The writing is bad.

Never the less… I do not regret getting it because it is a framework in which to build and save with and I got a PDF for free when I pre-ordered and after printing it out I have plenty of house rules scribbled on it.

Which RPG group? The FB group? I didn’t notice any attitude on there from the authors.

I didn’t find issue with it, the rewards on pg 313 describe it well, its simply a GM achievement like system that other RPGs have used. There is no set XP or anything, you level up when the GM determines. Freedom Squadron used essentially same mentality, you “level up” every 2 game sessions. Each session being episode sized like adventures, and if you play longer games or such the GM can change that.

Character creation seems straight forward, but there is lot of typos for sure. Power Rangers had same critique too it seems, lots of typos.

They should take a que from Modiphius and release the PDF’s much much earlier to players, as this allows the players time to proof read. They do this as it allows them to correct the typos and errors before the book goes to print. Renegade should do something similar

I am on that FB group and I will admit I came across douchie. Sorry about that. Perception is everything.

Nevertheless still think the character creation could be smoother and here is hoping for upgrades, and that paragraph on page 313 is nebulous.

These being my only critiques however I a having a lot of fun with it. I have been customizing Chap Mei action figs for the game which is turning into a much bigger art project.

I really do like how the emphasis is on storytelling and not rule-mongering. I am working on crafting a solo play alternative that will fit into their system.