V1 Vice Admiral Keel Haul costume build

Here are the parts I used for my Keel Haul.

The jacket is a used brown leather jacket that looked close to what the figure had. I added the Keel Haul patch made by me (artwork provided by Ron Rudat), 3 stars (what a Vice Admiral would have) for the shoulders, navel wings painted antique gold, and ribbons that I thought would go with the character based on his filecard. Most are original, but some are altered with acrylic paint. Also, not pictured, are a standard pair of black boots and black leather gloves.

The pants are tan cargo pants and the shirt is a Red Kap chambray shirt. I attached star patches to the collar.

The hat is made from several parts. I’m a budget guy, so I found several of these things at a flea market. The hat is an Army officer cap. I don’t have the double scrambled eggs, but that’s ok. I made the white cover, the front badge I bought for $1 at the flea market, and to give it that “headphones over the hat look” pilots would have, I removed the original part that was inside that gave it that stuff look and used electrical wire to bend into shape. I think it came out decent.

The belt and drop leg. I bought a drop leg holster with one leg strap removed and painted a toy M1911 pistol silver. The belt itself is a standard black leather belt that you can add a buckle to. I made the buckle from two parts I found on eBay. A round blank buckle and a stick on anchor that fit perfect. I have to repaint the buckle because it’s been sitting in a tote.

The final product. Excuse the banana…it was JoeCon 2018 and they didn’t allow weapons…plus they’re good for you.

6 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for detailing out your costume!

2 Likes

Fantastic, Thank you for sharing the build.

2 Likes

Nice, I want to make Keel-Haul as well . Can you tell me where you had the arm patches made for the jacket?

1 Like

I made the Keel Haul patch (straight from Ron Rudat’s art he sent me) and the rest came from eBay. The collar should probably have pins, but I couldn’t find a cheap set at the time, so I went with patches. I am still planning on purchasing pins and maybe upgrading, but I haven’t wore the costume in so long, I kind of forgot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help Boss Czar

2 Likes