What’s the hardest part about cosplay?

What your mind is prob the hardest part about cosplay? I’ve only done one costume as hardball and my biggest issue so far is repairs and replacing

1 Like

Outside of some complex builds, just wearing the costumes that are a bit complex and especially uncomfortable. Some costumes I simply will only wear under specific conditions cause I don’t want to be anywhere outside in them, or I can’t travel very far in them without having to take them partially apart. Some costumes like lot of the Joe’s with visible faces are so much easier to handle and move around with, while some of the complex cobra costumes can be quite a workout.

2 Likes

Loose pieces that can easily come off. Fogging up goggles/masks etc.

2 Likes

I feel like the two things that get me the most are temperature and standing.

Many costumes I have are full head to toe cover and can get hot and exhausting after 6-10 hours of wearing them, some I want to tap out after just a few hours of wearing.

Working a booth and trooping means a lot of time on your feet and costume boots don’t necessarily mean comfort! I always suggest a dry run of any costume to figure out your ouch spots and adding sole inserts is a must for everything I do.

Outside of that it’s also important to hydrate and be able to let that hydration go too! Some costumes aren’t potty friendly. Some costumes involve complete removal before eating or answering the call of nature is possible.

2 Likes

Almost every costume has issues when you take it out to any event, most costumes involve trial and error as you learn what and what doesn’t work about it, and tweaks you need to make. I think it’s rare to be 100% satisfied with a costume the first time out, you almost always find something you want to change or improve.

2 Likes

Beyond comfort or field repairs, one of my biggest issues is managing WIP builds and the shear number of new costumes I want to do. Costuming is sightly addicting and deciding what new build I want to spend my time/money on can be a challenge.

Also with G.I. Joe costumes, it’s often difficult to work out what a particular detail on a reference is supposed to be, let alone finding a suitable way to create the detail.

4 Likes

Getting to an event. Making the stuff is no problem, its having the open time to play is the issue.

3 Likes

My biggest hurdle is completing a costume. My excitement wanes sometimes on a project while it picks up on others. Before long, I have 4 or 5 costumes going at the same time and it’s a struggle to finish one. I blame the internet =)

3 Likes

Having a suit that won’t let you move naturally or one that comes apart if you move a certain way can be frustrating. Another thing is the constant repairing and updating to an outfit. It may be because something better came along to use or make, or it may be the character has been updated and you need to keep up. A lot of pieces I use in cosplay are used for multiple outfits, making it a challenge at times to find or remember all the parts when it is time to wear an outfit.
I do a lot of charity stuff, so one of the hardest parts of cosplay is in having equipment and an appearance and presence that is convincing to many kids, and being able to “be the character” without disappointing them if you can’t use your powers (or live ammo!).

3 Likes

Hardest for me, is also the easiest. Talking to people. Hahah a mute!

5 Likes

$$$$$$$$$$$$ and time

5 Likes

The hardest part is finding time to build. I have to buy completed pets out of necessity.

2 Likes

For me its ability to breath, see and move… I know that’s a lot but using my 501st Stormtrooper as an example its pretty much impossible to sit without damaging the armor. Hard to look down at any small children to walk up to me as well as having my lenses fog up and lack of free air flow even with fans installed. I got to perform in costume onstage with Weird Al Yankovic awhile back and of course my fans died and my lenses fogged up… I had to do the required routine seeing only blurs of lights and shadows. Thankfully it all worked out.

3 Likes

Wearing it, trooping with some costumes could became quite a challenge. If the Costume is well achieved it will be comfortable and will stand troop after troop without a scratch or missing parts and not a torture or half destroyed like most are. Well, in the beggining we all started with uncomfortable costumes and half pieces lost along the day. A bit of engineering and design will always pay off. If won’t be chep, but it will last.

2 Likes

The most difficult thing for me, has been the “play” part of cosplay… getting to events to interact with other cosplayers. Scheduling is usually the biggest factor in that.

3 Likes

Same here! I live in western Kentucky, where there aren’t a lot of local cons, plus I work every Saturday. I wish I could get more chances to get to wear my cosplays.

1 Like

Finding events and others to troop with is what I find the hardest part of cosplay. Especially lately.

1 Like

I cosign Nikki_T’s statement.

1 Like

Being able to suit up n down. Some costumes are just not practical for extended periods of cosplay, without a support unit.

Whenever possible, say thank you to you wrangler!

2 Likes

Thankfully lot of GI Joe costumes workout well without need of handlers and such, at least most Joes… some Cobras… yeesh

1 Like